Become a Host
The Mother’s Day Classic allows you to create your own community event where everyone can get involved and play an important role in raising funds for breast and ovarian cancer research.
When deciding to host an MDC event the first questions to consider are:
Do I have support of a committee or group?
Is there a venue or location available and will I need council permits or road closures?
Does the venue have space for on-the-day entries, warm up and maybe a sausage sizzle?
What local businesses or groups could be involved and potentially become an event sponsor?
These questions give a glimpse at what is involved when holding an MDC event, and we understand you may not have done this before, which is why a full time MDC staff member is available to assist and support you in creating a special event!
Event lead up
Detailed here are some of the tasks that you will need to complete in the months leading up to Mother’s Day.
- Register your event with MDC and download all the resources you may need.
- Submit an application for your location to your local council or governing body. Complete planning documents including risk management plans to gain your permit.
- Recruit volunteers to help on the day.
- Plan and book activities on the day.
- Spread the word about Mother’s Day Classic and your location to your local networks!
For those Hosts who may have a little more time to commit it would be amazing if you could encourage local businesses, schools and workplaces to set up teams and fundraise or sponsor the event.
On the day
Hosts are very important in our Mother’s Day Classic world! You are our eyes and ears on ground and the local representative on the day.
We do require you to ensure the following take place for safety reasons and most of all to ensure that everyone has FUN!
- Embody the spirt of Mother’s Day Classic with a welcoming and can-do attitude.
- Be the contact person for participants' questions.
- Be the first and last person on site – from approx. 7am - 2pm.
- Work with and supervise volunteers.
- Oversee and assist with the set up and pack down of signage as per your approved map.
- Complete the safety and risk checklists (simple and easy, and we will provide you with).
- Ensure your location is left clean and tidy by working with and directing volunteers accordingly.